Re: plastic plant labels

There are labels and there are labels.
On the one hand quick and convenient and cheap for marking seedlings,
On the other hand to label garden plants for years to come.

For the latter, I have found engraved bi-color laminated plastic name
tags from a
library supply house like Highsmith (1-800-558-2110) to be the best ever.
They're not cheap, take some forethought, and some work.
(you have to send them the names and then be patient with the phone call
when they ask if these are really the names you want). Cost runs about
$3 each the last time I checked. Be sure to get the ones without
holes/pins/clips used to put on peoples clothing.

You also have to attach them to stakes
for insertion in the ground. I use brass escutcheon pins in drilled holes
and mashed like a rivet after insertion. I have used plastic stakes, wood
and metal strips (scraps from a metal fabricator). The latter were the

Lot of work. But, the labels have lasted for 20 years and still look very
I can't even get 2 years from any other labels I've tried. I used
plastic to give white letters on a gray background. They blend well with
the garden
and show the dirt less than Black or White backgrounds. Surprisingly, the
white lettering remains clean enough to read easily. But, you could use
other colors
to suit your taste.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]