Re: plastic plant labels

 I have used the
>zinc metal markers but the metal legs rust plus the special paint I used
>that was
>suppose to last didn't. I tried engraving the metal markers but that is
>hard to
>read. Also it is very cumbersome and time consuming. Markers in pencil has not
>lasted outdoors either.

what we are doing this spring, that you might be able to do if you find a
local trophy shop, is to get a special laser to "burn" the names onto the
metal.  This is the latest technology for engraving, and is really great!
It is just a big laser, with software that treats it just like a printer.
We know a person at a trophy shop that is going to burn copper tags that we
will then hang on little  copper stakes, that should last forever.  The
only thing is, I don't know how much it would cost to get a trophy shop to
do it.

Stacy Holtzman
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Bloomington, Indiana Z5b