Re: Hybrids, grexes (greges), nature, evolution, human interest and

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Hybrids, grexes (greges), nature, evolution, human interest and
  • From: SelbyHort@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 16:58:54 -0500 (CDT)

Wilbert, thank you for your comments about the differences between natural
species and man made hybrids. I hope everyone now realizes why the grex
system is no longer acceptable as a method of naming. All those breeders out
there have witnessed firsthand the variation within hybrid progeny, and in
some cases this variation is more pronounced than others. Selection of the
best clone(s) from the seedling batch results in the cultivar(s) that will be
introduced to the rest of us. These selections are the plants we want to name
and recognize.

I believe the process of actually naming the grex is still available, is it
not Wilbert? Only the orchid people are still permitted to carry on their
endless grex naming operation. As the aroid registrar, I will require that a
cultivar be selected for naming....I will not be registering grex names.

I am still sorting out some of the details of the International Code of
Nomenclature for Cultivated Plants (ICNCP), so it is still difficult for me
to interpret all of this....here Wilbert will be invaluable. The primary
"mission statement" of the ICNCP is to provide a system for precise and
stable naming of cultivated plants. The Code is designed to provide rules for
naming cultivated plant material; plants that have been selected or
originated by the actions of humans. These plants might be created by
deliberate or accidental hybridization in cultivation, or selected from
clones within wild populations and cultivated and maintained by continued
propagation.

It will be extemely important to keep accurate records about your hybrid
efforts and keep your plant labels in the right pot!

Donna Atwood
Selby Gardens
811 S. Palm Ave.
Sarasota, FL 34236
USA

<<
 I therefore would vote against the use of grex names in aroid "breeding"! I
 advise the IAS as International Registration Authority for cultivated
 aroids, not to succumb to this system. It will put a lot of extra work on
 the registrar (Donna Atwood at Selby) and distracts from finding out what
 are the properly introduced cultivars of aroids through the decades (a big
 enough job as it is!).