Re: secondary hemiepiphytes

In a message dated 05/20/2000 12:26:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
kalim@erols.com writes:

<< Many plants (I think) do not
 dispense with their ground roots, while these MOnsteras and
 PHilodendrons do....

 What characteristics do these plants and similar others have that differ
 from other vinelike plants that start at ground level but never
 relinquish their hold on earth? >>

Alan and other correspondents,

I am somewhat confused by Alan's questioning. If I read him correctly, he
seems to believe that Monstera are "obligate" epiphytes as "mature" plants -
yet I personally have never seen mature Monstera lose their scaffolding roots
(continuous to the ground) even though the stem itself may have disappeared
near the ground. Do others also see Monstera that ultimately lose contact
with the ground? or is Alan seeing a growth typical of a very specific
environment for Monstera?

    Jim Langhammer