Re: secondary hemiepiphytes

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: secondary hemiepiphytes
  • From: alan san juan <kalim@erols.com>
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 22:49:28 -0500 (CDT)

Your mention of fast growing, ground-hugging plants reminds me of
something I read ---- that many Philodendron species, when on the
ground, seek climbing surfaces by rapidly growing in a "stolon"
pattern...with long internodes and very minute leaves. Once a climbing
surface is scaled, the plant structure changes, with much shorter
internodes and larger, elaborate leaves.

I have continued to read up on the subject, and here is another mention
of secondary hemiepiphytes and loss of lower stem portions:

"The second type start their lives on the ground or on tree trunks near
the ground (where they send roots to the ground) and climb trees where
they become adults and may lose their connection with the ground. These
are referred to as secondary hemiepiphytes (Putz & Holbrook, 1986)."

This is from DR. Croat's paper on Philodendrons at: