Tropical forest dreams and nightmares

  • Subject: Tropical forest dreams and nightmares
  • From: "Ron Iles" <roniles@eircom.net>
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 17:38:58 -0500 (CDT)

South East Asia is artistically and culturally wonderful and even though
there are no indigenous Spaths in a Group or not I will go soon for the
sheer joy of it all, and also maybe do for other friends what they might do
for me in Spath areas.

Although I have also heard reports to the
contrary Costa Rica, Belize and maybe Panama(???) appear to be relatively
safe and maybe are setting examples for non destructive use of Rain Forest.
Optimistically if other countries also follow the examples too and similarly
prosper from wise jungle use then maybe most Countries will soon conform.
Nature Conservation in parts of what we arrogantly call the "Third World"
may yet show the wise First World the way they should have gone before.
Indeed major blame for human destruction of the natural environment
obviously lies not at the doors of Third World Countries but with the major
"role model" leaders in the FIRST WORLD with the greatest clout, noise and
greed and the least understanding of history and criminal lack of vision and
global care.