Off topic: Hedychium hasseltii/Calathea

  • Subject: Off topic: Hedychium hasseltii/Calathea
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@arachne.uark.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 17:40:45 -0500 (CDT)

Does anyone want some spare seeds of Hedychium hasseltii?

This is a (relatively) small ginger Phil Mueller sent me in 1993, when I
complained that all Hedychiums took up too much of my limited indoor
space. Both he and Tim Chapman give it's height as 2 feet (60 cm) in
medium sun, though my experience is it gets as much as 1.5x that in lower
light. Tim rates it as hardy to zone 8 - I've not tried it outdoors. Easy
to grow (epiphyte, but I grow it in regular potting mix), flowers every
fall, occasionally other times, typical hedychium flowers in white, with
the typical great fragrance. One flower perfumes our whole house. Fresh
seed (and this is pretty fresh) germinates easily.  I already sowed a
whole tray that I don't need, but I hate to just trash it.  If interested,
please reply off list.

Also, I recall that someone, maybe a couple of years ago, was interested
in a piece of Calathea kegeliana whenever I got around to dividing it.
That will probably happen this summer, so if you're still out there and
still interested, please let me know.

Marantaceae are another family I'd grow a lot more of if I had a lot more
greenhouse space. Too bad there's none hardy but Thalia.

Steve

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@arachne.uark.edu