Re: Neil Carroll's last IAS Newsletter

  • Subject: Re: Neil Carroll's last IAS Newsletter
  • From: "George R Stilwell, Jr." <grsjr@juno.com>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 10:08:18 -0500 (CDT)

Peter,

I couldn't agree with you more. The American Rhododendron Societies
Journal is a case in
point. It's biased a bit more on the amateur side and there's too much
"club news" for me, but the mix
is important. If I want totally dry reading I'll pick up the Journal of
the Optical Society of America.
It'll even put opticians to sleep.

It is instructive to note the ARS doesn't have a "Newsletter". The
Journal is the vehicle for
everyone and everything. There are local chapter flyers promoting the
next meeting, etc., but
no national newsletter. This is also true for the Holly Society of
America and the Magnolia Society.
All of these have fine journals with something for everyone in them. One
is compelled to
do more than glance at the pictures and usually learns a few things with
each issue.

Perhaps there's a lesson to be learned here. Both HSA and MS had
"newsletters" before their
journals were issued on a regular schedule and in a sophisticated format.

Ray Stilwell
GRSJr@Juno.com

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.