Re: Stink Alert! From Craig at FTG

  • Subject: Re: Stink Alert! From Craig at FTG
  • From: "Craig Allen" <callen@fairchildgarden.org>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 23:26:06 -0500 (CDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Tyerman" <ptyerman@ozemail.com.au>
To: "Multiple recipients of list AROID-L" <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2001 11:26 AM
Subject: Re: Stink Alert!

> Howdy All,
> Sorry to ask yet another question.........
> How old is Mr Stinky?

***That tuber is 8 years old from seed - Craig Allen, Fairchild Garden

>How old does an Amorphophallus titanum have to be to
> flower?

*** Mr. Stinky bloomed the first time when five years old (tuber was 35
lbs.) and a second time when 8 years old (tuber 68 lbs.) - Craig Allen,
Fairchild Garden

>For that matter, how old do the other species need to be to flower
> (I'm talking from seed to flowering here)?  I realise that A. bulbifer
> grows bulbils which are easier than seed.... but how many years does it
> take the bulbils to reach maturity?  I realised looking at all those
> different ones at the Fairchild site that I have absolutely no idea at

***neither do I. I have gotten most of the other species from donated
tubers. Except for the giants of the genus, I haven't had time to make
detailed records of progress other than tuber weight. - Craig Allen,
Fairchild Garden

> I've got so many questions about them now.  How much do the tubers of the
> variosu species usually weigh when they get to flowering size?

*** I will try to find time later to look up some of that info, but life is
totally insane here now. There are still television crews coming in every
few hours. - Craig Allen, Fairchild Garden