cold weather - plants outside?

  • Subject: cold weather - plants outside?
  • From: Lester Kallus <lkallus@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 17:57:14 -0500 (CDT)

It's already getting to be late in the growing season, but temperatures on
Long Island are reminiscent of the ice age.  I expect to see glaciers
developing at any time.

Night time temperatures over the next 2 weeks will continue to be in the
50s.  Day time temperatures won't break 70 until more than a week from now.

Can any of the following aroids tolerate being outside without degenerating
- I'll even settle for stagnation.  I'm just trying to get my greenhouse
emptied so that some work can be done on it.

Here's the list:

Alocasia micholitziana
Alocasia lowii
Alocasia cuprea
Alocasia "Blackie"
Alocasia sanderiana
Alocasia reversa
Alocasia "Hilo Beauty"
Alocasia longiloba magnifica
Anthurium crystalinum
Anthrurium clarinervium
Anthurium andreanum
Anthurium "Crystal Hope"
Xanthosoma braziliensis (or some minor variation of that species name)
Xanthosoma variegata "Albo striata lutea"

Will any of the above be damaged by nights in the lower 50s if they don't
warm up much during the day?