Re: Re: GA3 in seed germination

  • Subject: Re: Re: GA3 in seed germination
  • From: mburack@mindspring.com
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 10:02:49 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Nyles,

Many thanks for the info....but as far as pH goes... what number should I be looking for? "7" or is there an acceptable deviation higher or lower?

Marc

Thanks for the info

aroid-l@mobot.org wrote:

Hi,

I always make a potassium salt of GA.
It's been shown to be more active than other salts, or even pure GA.
GA is not freely soluble in water, so the easiest way to do this whole
procedure in your living room is to measure out the amount of distilled
water into any glass container under a good light.

Add the amount of GA that you want.

You'll see the powder floating on top of the water.
(A good conversion from parts per million (ppm)to something you can deal
with is to change it to milligrams per liter...not exact but VERY close)

Slowly add potassium hydroxide (KOH) to the mixture while stirring gently.
Use very small amounts at a time.

At some point the powder will suddenly disappear and go into solution.

The Ph should be OK if you haven't overused the potassium hydroxide.
If your worried, use litmus paper or a pool Ph test kit.

Hope that this helps!

Nyles