Re: Bagging those seeds

  • Subject: Re: Bagging those seeds
  • From: Dan Levin <levin@pixar.com>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 15:45:09 -0500 (CDT)

Susan,

Indeed, the whole idea behind using Zip-Loc type bags is to take advantage
of that added stiffness at the bag's opening.  By slipping those interlocking
ridges just over the top of the pot, two triangular openings are formed which
will not deform or collapse.  This allows some interchange of air- yet humidity
and moisture inside the bag are still retained.  That's what works for me, at least.

 The "sandwich" size bags (16.5 cm x 15 cm) fit well with 2-3/4" or 2-1/4" square
pots.  In fact, I made a mistake in quoting the pot size I used: my Synandrospadix
seeds were all sown into McConkey SR-225's; which are 2-1/4" square & deep
(200 ml cap.).

 I find the "quart" size bags (17.8 cm x 20.3 cm) also work well on 3-1/4" pots;
McConkey SR-325's or equivalent.

 -Dan Levin

(who owns only a single Spath.'Mauna Loa'- which I assume to be as prevalent
world-wide as Gonotopus apparently are in Fla.- but I'd be more than happy to
share it with you Ron!)

---