Re: Re: Spelling question

  • Subject: Re: Re: Spelling question
  • From: Piabinha@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 16:57:17 -0500 (CDT)

i believe there are many examples of names that are used "correctly" with the errors.  unless they get officially corrected, but i haven't heard of any examples where this happens.  anyone?

i know of examples with fish (but not plants). for example Apistogramma commbrae is named after the town of Corumba in brazil, but it was misspelled by the person who described, and it remains as described, not as it should be.

other examples are the genera ParosphroMENUS and PseudosphroMENUS, which are very beautiful small and colorful labyrinth-fish from tropical asia.  they are derived from the genus OsphroNEMUS, but they were incorrectly spelled when erected and thus they remain.

--
tsuh yang in nyc