Re: Ulearum donburnsii

  • Subject: Re: Ulearum donburnsii
  • From: Piabinha@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 10:53:03 -0500 (CDT)

dear betsy,

>The quite small heart shape leaves often have a white or cream or green
>on green contrasting
>design on the leaves.

thanks for the info on this new plant.  however, i must disagree with you regarding the size of its leaves.  it's actually quite big!  they must be at least 5" in width (lord p., you do the math... :-) for everybody else, that's about 12.5 cm).  and you are right about the colors, it's a very beautiful plant!

and lord p., no smell on this one either...

>The Ulearum that Tsuh Yang is talking about is new to botany. The
>descriptive paper of this
>new specie is all but finished by Dr. Croat and will be published
>sometime soon in
>'Aroideana.'  It comes from very deep in the Ecuadorean Amazon Basin and
>is to be named in
>honor of our own Don Burns who recently passed away. This is only the
>second specie of
>Ulearum known and the first known from Ecuador. I  have been growing
>this plant for  a year in
>my greenhouse and it has not gone dormant and has had many flowers. It
>is quite easy to grow
>and flowers easily. The flower is not like anything that most have
>known. It has been in bloom
>almost the whole time I have had it. It is a flood plane plant which
>would lead one to believe
>that it might go dormant and come back as the floods come and go, and in
>nature that may be
>true. In a pot, I have not had it go dormant. Needless to say, it is

tsuh yang in nyc