Arum pollen germination

  • Subject: Arum pollen germination
  • From: Marc Gibernau <gibernau@aurore.cict.fr>
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 10:20:09 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Fellow Aroidophyles,

I tried to make some pollen germination experiments on Arum italicum.
I used the Brewbaker-Kwack medium with the pollen floating (in water or
in the same medium without agar). The germination rates observed varied
from 18-30% and were the same whatever was the liquid medium, as long as it
didn't dry.
Are these rates "normal" for Arum? Do you use another method?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Sincerely yours,

Marc Gibernau