Re: aquatic spathiphyllum

  • Subject: Re: aquatic spathiphyllum
  • From: Alektra@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 23:11:41 -0500 (CDT)

What I find very striking about this discussion is that I never knew that
Cryptocoryne could be grown terrestrially! I always thought it was solely
aquatic!

Off the topic, about those fish... The reason why bettas are used in these
arrangements with spaths is, bettas are swamp critters. They require much
less oxygen (and hence surface area) than other fish. Moreover, male bettas
have to be kept apart from other male bettas to prevent fighting, and thus
can live alone. Hence, bettas can be kept in living quarters of a size,
stagnancy, and solitude which would be deadly for any other species of fish.
Of course, people who want to keep a betta alive and flourishing will keep it
in a spacious tank, and only slightly less aerated than a regular fishtank.
I'm pretty sure that these little arrangements are severely life-shortening
for the fish.