Re: Aroids growing better in water?

  • Subject: Re: Aroids growing better in water?
  • From: "Ron Iles" <roniles@eircom.net>
  • Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 23:43:46 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Julius,

Thank you very much for your kind advice.

For security, during the northern winter, after acclimatisation & quarantine the Spaths were planted in heated beds (75-80F) of peat moss/soil-less compost with gravel over >6" of sand for heating cables, all kept moist & the root systems were extensive.  They have now been potted to rationalise the assemblage.   A mixture of soil-less compost & gravel was used in pots with drainage.  This is short term (summer) because I do not like the soil-less compost.   Apart from fine perlite, very costly, I have no access to lava rock, pumice.

In Ireland the plants are grown indoors, no rain, no wind & good  light but no direct unfiltered sunlight.

Since certain Spathiphyllum are grown as submerged aquarium plants I wanted to see how more could be grown in that way.   I transferred a range of sample common forms into strongly aerated waters immersed up to petiole bases, but it was NOT successful & I need to find out WHY.  These forms do grow naturally emersed & I did this in UK but in very well drained soil not in peat based composts.  Does your method maybe allow a different kind of root to develop for immersion (more aerenchymatous???) not harmed by waterlogging, whereas maybe the plants not immersed have a different structure?   Willow (Salix) & other native Trees here grow best here in my muddy sludgy Garden Stream, I just wonder if they too develop roots of special structure adapted to less aerobic conditions?

So, thank you, I will try your method with common plants & as roots penetrate the inorganic lower part progressively immerse them.  I will also examine the nature of the root growth as it happens.

Many plants especially Spathiphyllums can be grown hydroponically in inorganic aggregates, e.g. pumice, rockwool, perlite or even with roots in a covering membrane in air being intermittently submerged or sprayed with water containing very weak nutrients.   What I would most like to do is to grow as many Spaths as possible as rheophytes/helophytes.   They would then surely be immune to all soil threats.    Swamps have substrates which are often foul smelling & seemingly anaerobic so it seems that Spathiphyllum plants which thrive in such conditions may have roots of different structure to those in my moist & adequately aerated pots?    So if they are different, can I get my Spaths to grow such roots so that I can grow totally immersed in indoor stream/pond environments, not so much in those darn (plastic!) pots?

Has anyone else tried instant or slow inundation with aroids?

Ron