Re: Dracunculus species NOT to get

  • Subject: Re: Dracunculus species NOT to get
  • From: StellrJ@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 14:50:03 -0500 (CDT)

In a message dated 05/28/2002 8:10:11 AM Pacific Daylight Time, story@caltech.edu writes:

I found out this is indeed possible if the genera are from different kingdoms.  Does anyone know how common this situation is?  Are they going to fix this confusion at some point?  If so, which kingdom "wins"???

So far as I know, they are not going to "fix" it, because zoology, botany, and mycology are considered separate disciplines.  I can think of more (all non-Aroid) examples: Ficus, the fig tree, and Ficus, the marine gastropod; Oenanthe, the herb of the celery family, and Oenanthe, the wheatear bird.

Jason Hernandez