Re: [aroid-l] tubers vs. bulbs vs. corms

>We all know onions so there's the great example of bulbs and we all know
>potatos so we know tubers.  I grow Canna so understand rhizomes but have
>never thought of an edible example of thizomes.  More importantly, though,
>is there an edible corm?

Les,

Though often mis-labeled, the ginger "root," (even Jeopardy got his wrong
with a final Jeopardy question about root crops a couple of years back, to
which the correct response for their answer was "What is ginger?") is
probably the most commonly consumed edible rhizome. I suspect that
Arrowroot is also a rhizome product (I'm blanking on the name I'm looking
for here, though I think it is most commonly used more as a thickening
agent than as a dish or a flavoring.

Jonathan

Jonathan Ertelt, Greenhouse Manager
Department of Biological Sciences