Re: [aroid-l] TitanWatch 5/9/03 Farewell to Audrey III...

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] TitanWatch 5/9/03 Farewell to Audrey III...
  • From: SongString@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 15:26:54 EDT

<< I'll have to content myself with my A. konjac watch >>

Well, my A. konjac has finally wilted.  It was it's first spring to flower.
I didn't even know what kind of plant I had, until a few weeks ago, when I
did some snooping around on the internet and found out what I had. I got my
first corm, tuber, or whatever we decided to call it, at a garage sale in
southern Ohio a few years ago. I plant it outside every spring and dig it up
in the fall, putting it in the basement.  When I found it growing in the
basement this spring, I brought it upstairs and it must have grown about 2
feet in one day, or at least it seemed like it. In a week, it was about 6
feet tall. It had divided into two corms last summer,but was still attached.
I cut it apart this spring.   So I actually had two flowering A. konjacs.  I
kept waiting for it to stink. It stank a little bit one day, when it got in
the 70's, but it never stank again.  I had to get really close though to
smell it.  I kept expecting it to get really stinky, but, it stayed in the
60's and rainy most of the time, so it never stank.  Probably a good thing,
because my husband was threatening to get rid of it, if it smelled. NO sense
of adventure.

Does anyone know if I can keep it outdoors in the ground year around in
northern Ohio?  Should I give it full sun, part sun, shade, or what?  Should
I care for it the same way the titanum is cared for?

Nancy