Re: [aroid-l] Amorphophallus konjac outside

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Amorphophallus konjac outside
  • From: SongString@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 12:16:53 EDT

Thanks Paul,
You guessed right. I'm in zone 5 of NW Ohio.  What does zone 5b mean? Is
there a 5a?

I have always dug my A. Konjac up after the frost in the fall, because that
is what the man suggested, who sold it to me.  I put it in the basement for
the winter and replanted it in the spring.   Last year, I planted it on a
nice warm day.  The following week, it snowed.  The "spike" got mushy from
the snow, so I cut it back to the corm.  When it came back up about a month
later, it came up with two "spikes", or two leaves.  I think it would have
bloomed last year, if I had not planted it so soon.  It was already starting
to grow in the basement (no dirt). I thought winter was over and planted it
too soon.  Mother nature wanted to have the last word and snowed, just to
spite me.  I thought I had killed my "widdle plant".  AFter cutting off the
"spike", I dissected it out of curiosity.  It had the making of a flower,
with little seeds, etc.  When it finally emerged after the operation, it came
out as leaves again.  It wasn't until this spring, that I saw my first
flowering A. Konjac.  I wonder if cutting it down a year ago, when the snow
damaged it, caused it to split into two corms.  The corms reminded me of what
cells look like when they divide into two identical parts. So,  I got two
flowering plants this spring.  Maybe it was trying to make up for last year,
when I had to cut it back.