Re: [aroid-l] potting medium for Anthurium

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] potting medium for Anthurium
  • From: "Derek Burch" derek@horticulturist.com
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 20:49:50 -0400

It is really all in the watering. I think that you can grow almost
anything in almost anything if you can get the watering right. So, much
of what I do (and perhaps most people would say the same) is to make it
harder to make mistakes in keeping the medium too wet or too dry. For
me, this means a mix of a largely organic material(s) with something
that gives guaranteed drainage - perlite, coarse sand (or coarse grit if
you are in UK).
I, personally, would find fine orchid bark by itself to dry out too
quickly, but as I first said, it is all in the watering. . .
Not much help with specific advice - sorry about that, but until you
learn to water whatever you choose as a medium, in a way that
corresponds to the plant's needs, you will always be struggling.  Derek