[aroid-l] Comments on small lot seed imports - U. S.

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Comments on small lot seed imports - U. S.
  • From: "G. D. M." <doji@interpac.net>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 21:10:54 -1000

From the Pacific Bulb Society's mailing lists that I received today is the following letter that could be of benefit to us all in the U. S.

We are proposing to amend the nursery stock regulations to allow the
importation of small lots of seed under an import permit with specific
conditions, as an alternative to the current phytosanitary certificate
requirement. This proposed change is necessary because several entities
that import small lots of seed-individual importers, horticultural
societies, arboreta, and small businesses have had difficulty obtaining the
necessary certificates and have been adversely affected by the phytosanitary
certificate requirement.

We will consider all comments that we receive on or before June 28, 2004.
USDA-APHIS                   RIN: 0579-AB78
Importation of Small Lots of Seed Without Phytosanitary
Certificates -- APHIS Docket No. 02-119-1
RECEIVED:  02/23/2004        LEGAL DEADLINE: None
COMPLETED: 04/19/2004 Consistent w/no change

Please write with your opinion.  Obscure items such as this often go the way that people on the staff think for lack of public input.