[aroid-l] Dieffenbachia and skin rash

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Dieffenbachia and skin rash
  • From: "Derek Burch" <derek@horticulturist.com>
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 21:29:29 -0400

I have had a question about the possibility of a 2-year old child getting a
skin rash that has lasted three weeks from walking barefoot over carpet on
which a large dieffenbachia plant in a pot had sat for some years. The
carpet was steam cleaned a few weeks before the rash began (I leap to the
defense of the plant and blame the cleaner!)
I can't imagine enough sap dropping to the carpet and surviving steam
cleaning so as to present raphides to the child ...

Any comments, please.  derek