Re: [aroid-l] Dieffenbachia and skin rash

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Dieffenbachia and skin rash
  • From: Betsy Feuerstein <ecuador@midsouth.rr.com>
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 22:24:08 -0500

Speaking as one who has problems with both, yes, one can get a nasty difficult to heal rash from both philodendron and less so fromDieffenbachia. I can not work in my greenhouse cutting up philos without have what looks like poison ivy appear within 24 hours. It takes weeks or months to get such to go away. I have made trips to the dermatologist with such welts in February when no self respeciting poison ivy would be with leaves only to have it diagnosed as poinson ivy. Right............ it was the sap from the philodendrons I had cut up. Dieffs got their bad rep when years ago I was potting up imported cuttings of such. Each one had sawdust mixed with sand in a piece of paper wrapped around the cut end and fastened with rubber bands. Each time I popped the paper off, small grains of sand would hit me. In time, I thought a thousand ants were crawling all over me. Not fun......... this did not last too long. In Asia I found cleaning some plants the thousand ant syndrome happened also.

Good growing to all........
Betsy

Peter Boyce wrote:

Hi Derek

Quite possible; I know someone locally that cannot approach Philodendron
without itching and Dieffenbachia is a far nastier plant, chemically, than
Philodendron.

Pete

ps did my mss comments arrive OK?

.