Re: [Aroid-l] Totems

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Totems
  • From: Al Wootten awootten@nrao.edu
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 13:15:51 -0400

Hi Enid, Hermine and Ed

Thanks for the suggestions.  A constraint I forgot to mention is that my
wife must think that it looks elegant.  I'm using a sturdy green plastic mesh
with sphagnum moss within now for the plant, a Philodendron I got from Dewey
some time ago.  Alas, it has topped the totem I have.  The leaves are getting
smaller again and it is gangly.  I could root the top and lop it but I'd
like to grow it one size up...philodendronlings are now sprouting at the
base filling it out nicely.

Clear skies,
|Al Wootten, Slacktide, Sturgeon Creek at the Rappahannock |
|Astronomer (http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~awootten/)            |
|NoWorkAllPlay homepage  http://members.tripod.com/~astral |
|Deltaville, Virginia 23043                                |

 > At 06:19 AM 5/12/05, Enid wrote:
 > >Hi Al,
 > >These guys are a great totem source:
 > ><https://protected11.purehost.com/d30053026/index.asp?sh=welcome&op=2>https://protected11.purehost.com/d30053026/index.asp?sh=welcome&op=2
 > what about you make a cylinder of chicken wire or something like that and
 > stuff it with thoroughly soaked spaghnum moss?
 > hermine
 > Hi-
 > I use 1/4 inch hardware cloth stuffed with wet sphagnum.  I secure the
 > cylinder with plastic airplane ties and affix it to a redwood 1 x 2  stake.  Works
 > great.
 > Ed
Aroid-l mailing list