[Aroid-l] sad little Anthurium scherzerianum

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] sad little Anthurium scherzerianum
  • From: "Redman, Julia" jredman@tigr.org
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 18:12:34 -0400

Hi everybody,

This past February/March I purchased what I believe to be a Anthurium scherzerianum, or hybrid thereof as it was not tagged, and lately it has taken on a very droopy, unhappy appearance.  Based on its attitude, I suspect it may have some water stress (and I have to admit, it makes me feel a little dense!!) and am about to unpot it and repot in another media.  However, a few of the leaves have some yellowish areas, and its possible it has some other, possibly related issue such as fungus causing a toxic response.  The problem is I have relatively little experience with anthuriums.  Can anyone offer some advice on what to look for or do?  For example, what if I find the base of the trunk is rotted.  Can I just hack off the bottom up to clean tissue and root it somehow?

I appreciate any help I can get.  Thanks,

Julia