[Aroid-l] Re: Units

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Re: Units
  • From: "Leo A. Martin" leo@possi.org
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 14:40:17 -0700 (MST)

> I recall that discussion too. It was hilarious and the non-metric people
> suffered a severe defeat....... :-)

>> 117 kg = 257.9405 pound (advp)(lb)
>> 117 kg = 313.4674 pound (troy)
>> 117 kg = 585000 carat (for people who are in gemstones)
>> 117 kg = 75232.64 pennyweight (also a very nice one)

> 117 kg =
> 8.017046605 slugs
> 90279.29636 scruples
> 10263.15789 shekels (Biblical Hebrew)
> 8602.941176 tetradrachma (Biblical Greek)
> 3889870.13 leptons (Biblical Roman)
> .2579408468 kip
> 114737805 dyne
> 486233.7662 assarion (Biblical Roman)
> 18.42432 stones (Imperial)
> 20.63526774 stones (Rolling)

>> 117 kg = 18 stone 5 lbs(avdp) 15 oz (avdp) and 23
>> grains
>> (although I don't know, if grains are the subunit
>> for oz...., I heard
>> something about drams being smaller than oz, but
>> cannnot find the
>> reference)

And I though Europeans were supposed to be more sophisticated than we
colonials? You've completely missed the point! Apothecaries and doctors
want to keep the action to themselves. How better to keep the riffraff
from competing, than by writing illegible prescriptions in a dead
language, with measuring units that nobody else can figure out?

Leo Martin
Phoenix Arizona USA
(A professional poisoner by trade.)