[Aroid-l] nematodes

Dear All,

There were some mails about nematodes in Amorphophallus. Today I received Amorphophallus yunnanensis and A. asterostigmatus from Thailand (and some gingers...) There were some holes on the tuber, but they are dried off now.
They could be nematodes as well, but I think when we grow Amos in pots there are small risk to have a nematode infection. Our garden soil is allready infected by nematodes, but it is not serious. As I was mailing with a Dutch Zantedeschia breeder he told me that the biggest problem is with Erwinia carotovora subsp. carotovora. This is an anaerob bacteria which eats pectine (this material sticks the plant cells to eachother) and becouse the wet and anaerob enviroment the tubers start to rot with a distgusting smell (it is worse than the Dracunculus's). As I know the nematodes and the Erwinias symthomes are very similar, so I would like to point out that it can be an Erwinia rot as well as nematodes. To be sure is it nematodes or Erwinia is to get some rasped tissue from the meeting point of healthy and rotten parts and see if there is any nematodes.

As I'm not a Plant Protection Consulting Engineer (yet) any professional help or advice is very wellcome on this subject!

Best Wishes,
Jani