Re: [Aroid-l] Philodendron glaucophyllum

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Philodendron glaucophyllum
  • From: "Sherry Gates" TheTropix@msn.com
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 11:34:44 -0500

Hi Marek,
    How are ya doing?
   I am not an expert on anything, unlike most of you in the Aroid list.  However, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a 'good' species re: Ph. glaucophyllum.  Do you mean a genuine species name or a good plant to grow?  As far as I can tell, it's both! lol  I have a few, including some that I aquired recently, and was told these new ones were a hybrid called 'Moon Glow'. The lady that owns the nursery said she has had these for several years.  I can't find anything about that name, and it could be a name that was made up somewhere along the way, although it's bigger (older?) and has a prettier shape (maturity?) than the other glaucophyllums I have, which I admit are younger than the 'Moon Glow' ones.    I've seen some that were the same size, height-wise, but one will have larger, shaplier leaves than the other.  I haven't been able to find any information on the internet about hybrids involving P. glaucophyllum, but that sure doesn't mean there aren't (or are) any. It doesn't seem to be as fast a grower as some Philos, but beautiful when older.  This link will take you to one of Brian's Botanicals Philo ID pages about Ph. glaucophyllum.
  I hope this can help.   :)               Sherry (Texas zone 9a/b border)