Re: [Aroid-l] ID please

Fellow Aroiders,

I'm going to weigh in on this one because I have a specimen of the plant and I have seen it bloom. The plant in question is not the plant people are labeling Alocasia "Hilo Beauty"; the inflorescence on the plant in question is morphologically typical for Caladium. I have a nice little Caladium collection as well and the plant in question bloomed at about the same time as the other Caladiums, giving me an excellent opportunity to attempt crossing it with them.

Unfortunately, the plant in question is at least pollen-sterile, as it produced no pollen.

So, in my humble opinion, this is no Alocasia, but most likely a Caladium cultivar (I go with cultivar because I assume that a species would be fertile).

LariAnn Garner
Aroidia Research
http://aroidiaresearch.org