RE: [Aroid-l] Titanum does NOT produce offsets!

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Titanum does NOT produce offsets!
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 22:30:45 +0000

From : 	Wilbert Hetterscheid <hetter@xs4all.nl>
Sent : Tuesday, May 23, 2006 1:38 PM
To : "'Discussion of aroids'" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>

Dear Wilbert, (A.K.A. "Lord Phallus")

No problem--- as usual, as you and I have previously discussed, it is merly differences in language/improper usage of "terminology", in this case by myself, that caused the problems! What I was TRYING to say (but I explained it very badly!!) was that, contary to literature and common belief, A. titanum can and does divide itself if certain conditions exist or are provided. I should have got into more precise detail, or left it to your goodself to properly explain the correct usage of 'offsets' vs. 'divisions', adventitious bulbs', 'splitting' etc. In Craig's case the original tuber was made to 'split' or divide itself into several/many smaller tubers, which was a boon in distributing this rare plant back then when no seeds were available, and today is a useful thing to be aware of if one wants more plants out of your one A. titanum tuber!! ! To my mind, Craig`s multi-tubers were 'offsets', but you were correct when your explanation and the proper "terminology', kindly provided by you, clearly shows them NOT to be 'true' offsets, but 'divisions'!
In the future I think I`ll stick to discussing REAL Aroids, like Urospatha, Anaphyllopsis, Dracontioides, etc., not those stinking, UGLY want-to-be-aroids such as Amorphophallus and Pseudodracontium!!

The Best, and Good Growing all,
Julius :--)>

O.k., I'll admit, it is totally unimportant whteher titanum does or does not
produce offsets. Sorry Prof. dr. dr. dr. Boos INC,FLP,ERT,YUH,OIK,ERD.

Your totally unworthy servant,
Lord P. <<