[Aroid-l] Administrivia: AOL Aroid-Lers, please note ...

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Administrivia: AOL Aroid-Lers, please note ...
  • From: Steve Marak samarak@gizmoworks.com
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 17:40:19 -0500 (CDT)

Aroiders,

In the last couple of days, I've been contacted by 2 Aroid-L subscribers who
use AOL and who had received messages from the list about "bounces".

(For those who don't know, a bounce is when you try to send e-mail to someone,
and for whatever reason the e-mail can't be delivered - the message "bounced".
Very similar to checks bouncing.)

Apparently, the Aroid-L listserver was telling them it wasn't going to deliver
messages to them any more because of too many bounces. Most listservers,
including Aroid-L, do this - after some number of failures to deliver mail to
you, they give up on you. The kind ones - again including Aroid-L - will try to
let you know they've done this, because often the problem is temporary.

We are very liberal on Aroid-L - we allow 10 bounces in a row before we quit
delivering mail, and then we try to let you know once a week for 5 weeks
thereafter. I'm on some lists that will throw you off the list entirely after 1
bounce!

Anyway, I checked the entire membership and found easily a dozen AOL users who
were in the same state. We've seen this before - lots of bounces from AOL,
usually affecting some but not all AOL users.

I've reset all of them, so if you're an AOL user and this is the first Aroid-L
post you've seen for a while, and/or you've been getting incomprehensible
messages from Aroid-L about your subscribtion being disabled, that's what was
going on.

And if, in the future, it seems like it's been quite a while since you've
gotten a post from Aroid-L, you can check your settings, and correct them if
necessary, via your browser at:

You'll need your Aroid-L password (which should be e-mailed to you once a month
or so, so keep that around).

Steve

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com