Re: [Aroid-l] Philo. seed from S. America

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Philo. seed from S. America
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 22:49:39 +0000

From : 	exotaqua <exotaqua@bellsouth.net>
Sent : 	Tuesday, May 1, 2007 5:18 PM
To : 	"Discussion of aroids" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : 	Re: [Aroid-l] Philo. seed from S. America

Dear Bill,

I finally got to see your photo of the leaf of your plant, thanks. Forgive my delay, but I have been agonizing on a reply, I HATE to be incorrect in information I give out---that being said, lets LEAP into this debacle------I`ll post this one to the aroid-L, as 'enquiring minds want to know'. In MY opinion, your plant is Philo. bipinnatifidium, certainly not P. adamintinum. I base this on the fact that in P. adamantinum, the distance between the bottom of the sinuses (these are the spaces between the divisions on the leaf blade) and the midrib deminish as you go up the blade from the tip upwards toward the petiole juncture, while in Philo. bipinnatifidium just the OPPOSITE is the case, this distance increases as you go up the blade. We also have to keep in mind that with your photo we are dealing with just ONE leaf blade of a sub-adult plant. There are other features NOT shown in your photo which, when I post my chart, you can check on, such as the intravaginal squamules on the rhizome/trunk, the shape/color of the leaf scars, etc., etc., just have a LITTLE more patience with this dumb old man. I worked today on a comparison chart between the two species involved in this discussion, but after I was finished I decided that I might as well, and in fact NEEDED to incorporate P. saxicolum into the brew, since this was another species allegedly amongst the selection of seeds received. I will continue working on the comparison chart and will post it ASAP.

The Very Best,

Julius Boos,

Attachment :  	P.adamantinum (0.23 MB)

The plant in the attached photo (open with a web browser) I grew from seed labeled P. adamantinum from the source in question. I will be interested in your opinion.

Bill Anderson
----- Original Message ----- From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>