[Aroid-l] Remote monitoring and sensing of Aroid plants (and a request for help)

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Remote monitoring and sensing of Aroid plants (and a request for help)
  • From: a san juan <kalim1998@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 21:38:46 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all:

I'm involved in a project that involves creating a system that allows people to remotely monitor their garden collections via the web or by cellphone:

http://weblogs.java.net/blog/asj2006/archive/2007/05/java_midlet_she.html

Tiny sensor motes scattered in different locations and running Java midlet software can monitor a variety of  factors, including temperature, light, relative humidity, soil moisture, etc, and upload the results to the web as graphs. This means people can make sure their plants are kept safe and healthy.

Here are some sample results for temperature and light for one of my aroids:

http://www.rimlife.com/spot/

The sensor motes can also be programmed to alert people when certain factors go beyond certain limits. For example, if your plant becomes too dry it can email  you or switch on a nearby water source by itself.

Our project will also be a poster in Maker Faire 2007 next week:
http://makerfaire.com/

My request is that I'd like to push this project forward and deploy sensor motes in real world situations, and am hoping some commercial growers or curators of botanical gardens are interested in cooperating with us to do some tests.

You can respond to this or email me directly at asjbiotek@gmail.com

Thanks!
ASJ