Re: [Aroid-l] OT: Fungi that eat ionizing radiation?

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] OT: Fungi that eat ionizing radiation?
  • From: Hermine <hermine@endangeredspecies.com>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 12:49:06 -0700

At 12:06 PM 5/24/2007, ExoticRainforest wrote:
Ted,

Far be it for me to discredit or vouch for any of this!  But I did find it interesting due to another interest dear to my heart.  I'm one of less than a thousand people in the world who can document having logged over 5000 scuba dives.  My time in the water as a professional underwater photographer included time in a deep submersible.  Never got to go down to the deep water in the mid-Atlantic rift or the really deep water off Galapagos but I recently saw a National Geographic special which featured deep ocean dives to both areas of the ocean where live volcanoes are constantly spewing on the ocean floor.  The National Geographic team found large incredible marine life actually using the noxious gasses produced by these volcanoes as a food source.  And to top that, many were living in water with a temp approaching 800 degrees!  Some were photographed crawling into vents so hot it was actually burning them alive and they were happily gathering and eating the stuff!

I 'member that! i was blown away!  and the SIZE of those critters! it reminded me of Robert Heinlein stories of life on planets with frozen methane-ammonia  atmospheres!  Or maybe they were Isaac Asimov stories. ("Fantasy and Science Fiction" magazine, circa the mid fifties)

I just saw an advertisement on telly (or perhaps was hallucinating) about underwear with silver wires in it to keep my head from exploding due to radiation from my cel phone. and I wondered, do I really need this stuff, if I wear silver bracelets? has anyone else heard of silver in the undies to ward off a radioactive head?

I believe virtually NOTHING, by the way.

Hermine Stover
Secretary
Responsible Dog Owners Of The Western States
23280 Stephanie
Perris CA 92570
951 940  0496
cel 310 925 9407

  |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-' ''Le Chat qui dort