Re: Philodendrons produce infrared light???

  • Subject: Re: Philodendrons produce infrared light???
  • From: Marc Gibernau <gibernau@cict.fr>
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 11:09:09 +0200

Dear Aroiders,

I'll not write a long e-mail because, as I wrote to some of you in private messages, the research on this topic is in fact "very" recent even if the idea is may be 20 years old. Please find in attachment the figure of a recent paper written by Roger Seymour (Univ. of Adelaide, Australia) and myself on the thermogenesis of Philodendron melinonii. The paper is a bit complicate but the this figure present a real picture and the equivalent IR picture of the same inflorescence during thermogenesis (heating phase). Hence you can see the inflorescence like an insect could "see" it through its IR receptors. Flashy!!! There is no question if the pollinating beetles have IR receptors they can detect a heating inflorescence. The questions now to study are:
Do Cyclocephala beetles have IR receptors ?
What are their sensibility & efficiency?
Are IR radiations used as a guide by Cyclocephala beetles to find the inflorescences to visit or are odors sufficient ?

To finish, I would like to say that I have the honor to be the IAS speaker during the Annual show next September, and that I'll pleased to tall you some "nice "stories around thermogenesis and IR radiations.

All the best,

Aroid-L mailing list