Re: Anthurium

  • Subject: Re: Anthurium
  • From: "Sherry Gates" <TheTropix@msn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 16:14:15 -0500

Hi Tsuh,
  I have an Anthurium (bought as A. dussii), that has had it kind of rough the last few months, but it's hanging in there. (Hurricanes Rita & Ike (Ike was the final straw) pretty much ruined our home and part of the greenhouse & shade houses). We bought a house this past Jan.  Now I'm in the southern end of zone 8.  About a week ago it started sending up 2 growths from below the soil line.  I have others that grew a 'side crown' like you mentioned.  The first one that comes to mind like that is the Anthurium watermaliense.  I divided it and they're both doing great. The mama plant is about 3 ft tall (at top of foliage) and the largest leaf is about 20 inches (50.8 cm) long and 9 inches wide (22.9 cm).  Come to think of it I have an A. schlechtendalii that also had a side growth (from below the soil line) that I divided as well and all are fine.  I even got 2 seedlings out of the tangle of roots when it was separated. Most of the other Anthuriums have not multiplied... yet! But I'm certainly hopeful!   Do you have one that is sending up the secondary growth you were asking about?
                                                     Best of luck,