Re: Monstera karwinskyi or acuminata?

  • Subject: Re: Monstera karwinskyi or acuminata?
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 09:11:22 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Sherry,

I do not know the current taxonomic status, but, Tropicos considers Monstera karwinskyi as a synonym for Monstera acuminata.  The IAS has a pdf of Michael Madison's Revision of the Genus Monstera, 1977.  Madison had the same opinion and his account of Monstera acuminata is interesting.  Monstera acuminata was described on the basis of juvenile leaves and no floral parts.   That is one reason why confusion reigned.  I would assume there is more genetic testing of Monstera, but, I do not have that information.  Perhaps Tom Croat can advise the forum.