Re: Message from Bernhard about Typhonium

  • Subject: Re: Message from Bernhard about Typhonium
  • From: Zanezirklejr@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 13:21:09 -0400 (EDT)

Its sauromatum venosum.

In a message dated 5/7/2013 2:28:18 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, zdufran@gmail.com writes:

Aroiders,

in our German amorphohallus-forum we have a question to explain a often seen mark on big T. venosum tubers.

For details see the pictures and contributions in posts # 96, 93, 97 and 98.

The forum language is German but at the bottom of the page there is translation fuction implemented.

In German:

http://www.amorphophallus-forum.de/typhonium-venosum-im-originalzustand-typhonium-sauromatum/andere-araceaen-nach-gattungen-f27/t316-f9/index5.html

maybe the link with the translated page works also:

http://www.amorphophallus-forum.de/index.php?page=TranslatedThread&threadID=316&pageNo=5&languageCode=en

The questionis, if the mark on picture 2 in post 93 can be related to the peduncle.

(I just notice that some of the pictures are not displayed automatically in the English translation; you might have to click the links; sorry.

for instance: http://www.amorphophallus-forum.de/index.php?page=Attachment&attachmentID=1251 )

There is controversion, because it is assumed that the old tuber is consumed / replaced totally (post # 96) and in this case the mark cannot be associated with the lst year's peduncle.

On the other hand there might be an indication that the offsets go back to buds that might be present on the tuber at the beginning of the new growing cycle and that those parts of the tuber are still present at the end of the growing cycle below the mark on the tuber (in other words: the old tuber is not consumed / replaced totally) - see post # 97 and picture 1 and 6 in post # 93.

I hope these questions is somehow understandable.......  ;-)

Looking forward to any comment !

Cheers, Bernhard.