RE: Pecan Shells

From: on behalf of Don Burns
Sent: 	Monday, May 19, 1997 8:31 PM
To: 	Julius Boos
Subject: 	Re: Pecan Shells

Regarding the use of pecan shells as a planting medium (or one of several
ingredients), I would be cautious with this until I understood the
chemical contents of the shells.  For some reason I am thinking that
pecan shells contain tannin.  While I don't know this for certain, I'll
bet one of the chemists on the list could tell us about.

By the way, pecan shells are use in the abrasive industry as a pressure
blasting  abrasive, and possibly in other ways. And the stuff is not

It`s also used in the oil drilling industry in a ground up form as an additive
to drilling mud as a torque reducer while drilling in tight or high angle
hole.   Not cheap!
                 Julius Boos,    W.P.B., FL.,   U.S.A.