A. titanum at Selby - update

Here's the latest on the Amorphophallus titanum flowering event here at Selby
Botanical Gardens.

We have two flowering buds developing and they appear to be timed about three
days apart. The larger bud has broken free of its cataphylls and is now
enlarging rapidly. This morning it is 113 cm, or 44.5 inches tall. It has
grown over 3.5 inches since yesterday. The smaller bud started "peaking" out
from its cataphylls yesterday and is now 65.4 cm or 25.75 inches high. We are
tentatively predicting that the larger bud will open about 8 days from now,
the smaller one about three days later. That will place peak or near peak
flowering for the first bloom around the weekend of May 22-23. Of course, we
can't know with any certainty this far in advance, so I will keep you all
updated every couple of days on the flowering progress.

I am gathering some information about our cultural techniques for these two
plants and will post that in my next message. I do hope some of you can make
a trip to see this double flowering. It is apparently very rare for two
titanums to be so sychronized. Does anyone have any information about whether
a double flowering in cultivation has ever occurred before? Please let me
know via this newslist or e-mail me directly at <selbyhort@aol.com>

More soon!

Donna Atwood
Selby Gardens
811 S. Palm Avenue
Sarasota, FL 34236
phone: (941) 954-1237
fax: (941) 366-9807
e-mail: selbyhort@aol.com
Amorphophallus titanum Hotline: (941) 366-2815 - recorded message updated
each morning by 9:30 AM ET