Re: Anthurium superbum

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Anthurium superbum
  • From: Denis <denis@skg.com>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 16:02:42 -0600 (CST)

Dear Paul;

Anthurium Superbum can produce fertile seed if hand pollinated or
pollinated by insects. It can also out-cross easily to other
Pachyneurium Section species of Anthurium, that's something you probably
don't want. The infructescense will produce purple berries which will
pop out on the spadix when ripe. Usually the first to pop are the ones
containing fertile seed and then later the ones that contain chaff and
not seed. some of the latter never pop out. You should remove the pulp
from the seed by squeezing the berries one by one, wiping off the sticky
pulp with a damp paper towel and planting into a tray or community pot
immediately. Keep in Humid environment. They should germinate within a
week or two. Seeds are small and seedlings grow slowly for first year.
Good luck.

Denis at Silver Krome Gardens
Homestead Florida