Re: Philodendron distantilobum

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Philodendron distantilobum
  • From: Denis <denis@skg.com>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 13:57:44 -0600 (CST)

Dear Jim:

Back is the 1980's a Philodendron appreared in Tissue culture named
'Spider'(TC labs don't care about scietific names or correct ID) or
something like that from a Lab called Ceres 2000. The plant had very
little leaf lamina, only the veins of a leaf. My recollections of it are
now a little vague, but when I first started growing it from tissue
cultures I mistakedly thought it was self heading and would make a good
6" pot or hanging basket. It was Dr Monroe Birdsey who recognized it,
and identified it as P. distantilobum for us. It was a slow vining thing
when it matured due to th efact that it had very little leaf blade. I
eventually phased it out as it was inconsistent as a horticultural item
although a great curiosity due to its narrow divided leaves. We held
onto several large specimens of it. Unfortunately, the nursery was run
over in 1992 by a hurricane and those pieces which we had held onto did
not survive the total devastation of all the Greenhouses. Sorry I can
not supply you with any of this unusual Philly... I'm sure someone down
here in South Florida must still have a piece growing up a tree. As I
said above it was a slow inconsistent grower and it could have died off.

Denis at Silver Krome Gardens, Inc.