Re: Alocasia Black Velvet

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Alocasia Black Velvet
  • From: Denis <denis@skg.com>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 13:59:27 -0600 (CST)

Dear Aroiders:

This plant is a vexation to me. Just when I get the thing looking good
and ready to sell, It decides to go into flowering mode and stops all
leaf production. I would not be so bad that it went into flower, but the
flowers seem to suck up all the nutrition in the plant and cause the
older leaves to pale out and loose their dark color. This is perhaps one
of those plants which can not be grown as a horticultural item and is
better off left to enthusiasts to enjoy and put up with its untimely
flowering and subsequent decline. I have learned to only grow it in
small numbers and sell it as soon as I get four decent leaves on it
before it can go into its reproductive phase.

Denis at Silver Krome Gardens