Re: Philodendron santa leopoldina

  • Subject: Re: Philodendron santa leopoldina
  • From: StellrJ@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 10:35:25 -0600 (CST)

In a message dated Sun, 4 Nov 2001 10:27:49 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com> writes:

>   Perhaps in the future some seed can be donated to a person in Brazil
>   where they can be grown and then re-introduced back into the
>   wild??

While I am all for reintroductions, this presupposes a habitat in which to reintroduce.  If a plant becomes extinct, it is generally caused by lack of habitat in the first place.  So, the first priority should be to restore or protect habitat, to prevent the extinction, and to provide a place for reintroduction.  Consider an example from North America: the tree Franklinia alatamaha, which has been extinct in the wild for over 200 years, but still exists in cultivation.  Why have there been no reintroductions?  Probably there are no suitable sites for reintroduction.  This despite the fact that Georgia has a State Park named after this tree.

Jason Hernandez