Philodendron santa leopoldina

  • Subject: Philodendron santa leopoldina
  • From: Floral Artistry <jjingram@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 00:47:23 -0600 (CST)

While I do not have this prized plant, I would like to put my input here.
First, plants that are endangered are because of either human ignorance or
greed. Second, if a plant can be tissue cultured, why not? Third, if I were
to spend $600. on a plant, I would like to be able to increase it's numbers
so as to protect my investment. And the best way to do this is tissue
culture. We have the modern technology to save nearly everything on the
planet (I said nearly).
Tissue culture is the best way to ensure species perpetuation. I don't agree
that $600. after tissue culture become $5.00 K-Mart plants. That is also
pure ignorance. If a rare and endangered plant can be propagated in tissue
culture, then the people propagating should have enough sense to know the
value of the product. With TC, the plants can be offered for a fair market
value, $150.00 -$200.00 and still be a very desirable plant.
I have several plants that are in dire need of tissue culture; if there are
any peoples out there who have a reputable and honest lab, let me know. I
will contact them. But, once these plants are cultured, I'm not going to
knock them out for $5.00 a pop. They will be greatly reduced in price but
the market value is still there.
And if you have a plant that is as desirable as the one we are speaking and
you donate a plant for TC, then you should be entitled to a portion of the
proceeds. That is only fair. I would demand the same if I were to give up my
plant.

John Ingram
jjingram@pacbell.net
www.floralartistry.org