Anchomanes dalzielii seeds - further comments

  • Subject: Anchomanes dalzielii seeds - further comments
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter@worldonline.nl>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 10:30:44 -0600 (CST)

Peoples,

I get a few repeating questions that I might as well answer publicly
(answers with naughty details will be sent personally........):

1) reimbursing shipping costs: well folks, this is a freebee!

2) what to do with the seeds when they arrive (WHEN they arrive.....): good
question. To be honest, I have pretty little experience with Anchomanes
seeds. What I DO know is that they are NOT drought resistent. The main
reason is that they have no protective endosperm inside the seed coat, so
when they strat desiccating, the embryo is immediately affected. I found
this out myself too when I accidently left a few tens of seeds of
Pseudohydrosme gabunensis (which is in fact an off-beat Anchomanes, if you
ask me........so don't!!) that I hand pollinated lying around and sure
enough, they dried out and never germinated (which is why you folks still
don't have a Pseudohydrosme in your collections.......sob, sob.).

The other thing is that we have not yet decided how to send the seeds. Do we
give the berries time to desiccate and create a protective cover around the
seeds? Or do we extract the seeds from the berries and send them in
sphagnum? I tend to do the latter.

Does anyone of you have expereince with Anchomanes seeds?

So far we have 30 requests, so we can still manage a few more. I suggest I
stop accepting requests at the end of the week. o.k.?

Cheerio,
Lord A., or P.