Re: [aroid-l] Alocasia borer?

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Alocasia borer?
  • From: Lowell McCormick LOWELLMCCORMICK@compuserve.com
  • Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 16:10:20 -0500

>> >Has anyone seen a borer or cutworm problem in Alocasia?  I'm looking at
shiny black caterpillar-type thing that is eating the core of the Alocasia
stem area...
Petra <<

Sounds like an armyworm larvae.  They are indiscriminate feeders and
can devour a tremendous amount of plants in a short time--usually your

 Once I had an orchid just beginning to bloom and just before each
bloom opened it disappeared overnight. I finally caught it by going out at
12 A.M. with the flashlight and caught it eating the next blossom.
Needless to say, it didn't live to finish its meal.

Mary Elliott

  E-mail from: Lowell McCormick, 04-Nov-2002