Re: [aroid-l] silver leaf Philo (hastatum? now blooming in Sydney

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] silver leaf Philo (hastatum? now blooming in Sydney
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" edggon@hotmail.com
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 22:36:37 +0000

Dear Eugene,

I have just checked in my plants to see if they are in flower, but they are not yet. So here follows a few info on how to recognize it:

Vegetatively: Stems grayish, more or less smooth, internodes usually 1.5-2 cm thick in adult (flowering plants); petioles a little flattened dorsiventrally; leaves sagittate-hastate (i.e., something between an arrowhead and an inverted "T"; young leaves silvery, getting greener with time. Fertile material: inflorescence usually solitary; spathe green outside, usually pale green inside (as far as I remember); female flowers with the stigma with a diameter smaller than the diameter of the ovaries; ovaries with 5-6 locules and 2-4 per ovules per locule, attached nearby the base of the ovule. I do not remember the color of the berries.
In the field the plant is a low climber, usually climbing up to the first 1.5-2 m of the host tree. The same is true for cultivated plants. It rarely climbs high in the host tree or totem. Well, I think it is enough to recognize. Any specific question, feel free to ask.

Very best wishes,

Eduardo G. Goncalves
Laboratorio de Fitoquimica
Depto. de Botanica - IB